During early 20th century, population of Ipoh had rapidly grown. The original town couldn't withstand anymore & the new township was extended to the east bank of Kinta River around 1908-1910. That's the Old Town & New Town we know today. However, the trend has changed since 1970's when transportation become more convenient. People started to migrate away from downtown to the suburban residential that provides larger living space. When the city's economy was badly hit during 1986 & 1997, more shops were closed down & left abandoned. The corridor once too congested with people a century ago is now empty & lonely.